Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day...A Dedication to Birthing Women Around the Planet

I started writing this post yesterday after a wonderful day spent celebrating my "baby's" 13th birthday and reveling in all the love coming my way from family (I got flowers from my own mama!) and from my 3 beloved boys, Holland, Enzo and Brit. Only then, after checking out the day's news did I become aware of the incredible devastation wreaked by Cyclone Nargis in Myanmar. Over a million people are homeless and the death toll is currently thought to be greater that 100,000.
Being a mother and a midwife, when I hear of these disasters, my thoughts immediately turn to families and more specifically to the mothers that are enduring the horror and the fear that such acts of God engender. What would I do if it were me? How would I feel if I were pregnant, laboring or worse, had just delivered my sweet, fresh baby? I can't imagine how terrifying it would be.
Instead of writing what I had intended to write, I'm going to ask you readers to consider making a donation to all those vulnerable, scared, hungry and thirsty families in Myanmar. Here's a link to the organization I donated to, Feed the Children,
but feel free to donate to the Red Cross or other relief organizations that are trying to help.

No comments: