Friday, May 23, 2008

What Babies Know

In my daily perusal of books and articles relating to women, babies and childbirth, I read a quote by David Chamberlain, PhD about some of the gifts babies give to us. Dr. Chamberlain is one of my heroes and a pioneer in the field of pre and perinatal psychology (birthpsychology .com ). The following is a quote of his taken from his 2006 commencement speech to the graduating class of the Santa Barbara Graduate Institute..."Babies are powerful beings with a huge mission. On arrival, they turn women into mothers, men into fathers, and couples into families. They humanize us, teach us
tenderness, and inspire attachment. If we let them, they lead us toward a true civilization.
And for all this, they get no particular credit for a magnificent effort!"

Wow! Yesterday while in a 5:00pm traffic jam news on the radio put a huge smile on my face. To hear word that in the midst of abject tragedy in China, an on-duty policewoman had the compassion and love to nurse several babies who were found in the wreckage...these are the stories that make me proud to be a part of the human race. When continuously barraged with headline after headline of examples of humanity's capacity for evil, a story like this is a reminder that there is SO much good going on all over the planet every day.

Think of the beautiful babies that inspired the policewoman in China to breastfeed them. She opened her heart( and her uniform blouse) to nurse them back to life with her breastmilk. What a beautiful image of Madonna providing succor to the innocent babes left motherless by the destruction of the earthquake. How babies do inspire us...just like Dr. Chamberlain said.

4 comments:

Cathy Cayton said...

What a beautiful story of compassion.

Girl on a road said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Girl on a road said...

Laura...I stumbled onto your blog and website by a wonderful fluke: I was googling for information about press that I recently worked on for Erika's recent trip to Charlotte, and your blog post about her helping you birth your website was right there at the top! Just wanted to say hello and congratulations on your "Baby's Breath" adventure. Lovely blog and lovely site!
I hope you're doing very well.
Annemarie

P.S. I tried editing my first post to actually include my name (in my excitement, I posted before I was finished), and ended up deleting the whole thing. Sorry about that! :)

Girl on a road said...

Hi again, Laura,

I'm so glad I found your blog. I love reading it....I hope you're doing well.

My good friend, Faith (who also happens to be an amazing Pilates coach and wonderful Mom, Wife and all-around human) had a great suggestion:

Someone should start a blog that will simply show us how many known blogs, in multiples of six, it would take to connect all the blogs in the blogosphere. I suspect she is right - we are all a lot more interconnected than we could imagine.

Here's how this will work:

On my blog, I've listed out 6 blogs that I visit often. (yours is on there!)

I've asked these 6 bloggers to visit my blog (girlonaroad.blogspot.com) and list 6 blogs that they know of as a comment.

Then you should contact "YOUR 6" and ask them to post "THEIR 6" back on MY blog as a comment (and including in their post who referred them)....and so on.

I'll keep track of the lists of 6 blogs as they come in, including date of addition and which other blog referred them to the 6-degrees experiment. I will try to find a way to draw a "hub map" like what they have on "The L Word", in the meantime.

We need to try to limit repetition, for this to be most effective. So if you see a blog on our Bloggeration list, below, pick a different one.

Hope to hear from you!
annemarie
(girl on a road)